- Carroll, Lewis (1832-1898)
- Tenniel, John (1820-1914)
- First edition
- by Lewis Carroll ; with forty-two illustrations by John Tenniel
Macmillan Publishers, 1865
- Macmillan Publishers
- 192 pages : illustrations ; 19 cm.
- Unmediated carriers - volume
- First English edition
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Only 22 copies of the 1865 first edition are thought to exist, one of which is owned by the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh. This first edition was withdrawn after the illustrator, John Tenniel, complained about the quality of the printed illustrations. Recipients of presentation copies were asked to return them, and only a few bound copies have survived. Visitors will be able to see the library’s copy of the book open at the title page in a special display of rare Alice books to mark the 150th anniversary of the first publication.